Clear browser data (cache, cookies, history)
Delete browser cache (temporary internet files)
When is this necessary?
- You still see an old version of a page on the website, even though the page has already changed. It does not help to refresh ("refresh" or "reload") the page.
- You read your e-mail (via Outlook Web App) on the move on a "strange" PC and don't want to leave private data behind.
Cause. The browser temporarily stores pages you have viewed in cache memory. The browser retrieves the page from cache memory and displays the saved (old) version.
Solution? You can "force" the browser to retrieve the latest version from the server by clearing the cache. Clearing all cache files will show you the current information again.
A cookie is a small text and number file that is stored in your browser or on your computer's hard disk. Cookies contain information to remember your preferences when using a website or are used to collect info about visitors. Nowadays, websites are required to ask your permission to place a cookie on your computer and to give you information about the content of this cookie.
After visiting a site, you can choose to delete cookies from your computer.
Delete browsing, search and download history
As you browse the web, your browser remembers data for you: websites you have visited, files you have downloaded, and more. All this data constitutes your "history". If you use a public computer or share a computer with someone, you may not want others to see this data.
How to clear cache, cookies and history in the browser
View and delete browser history in Microsoft Edge
Clear cookies and site data in Firefox
- Click on the three dots at the top right.
- Choose "Settings".
- Choose "Privacy and security".
- Under "Privay and security" choose "Clear browsing data".
- Choose a period and the data to be deleted.
- Click "Clear data".
- Choose "Preferences..." from the "Safari" menu.
- Click on the "Privacy" icon.
- Under "Cookies and website data" click on "Manage website data....
- Search for "ugent"
- Select "ugent.be" and click "Remove"
- Click "Done".