Your password is the key to your UGent account. You can read everything you need to know about your password on this page.
Besides with a password, your account is also secured with multi-factor authentication (MFA).
Password policy for UGent accounts:
- an annual password change is mandatory
- when setting a new password, the strength of the newly chosen password is checked;
only a sufficiently strong password will be accepted
- When changing the password, do not select a password that has already been used
- A strong password consists of at least 8 characters.
- Your password must not contain accents or spaces.
- Your login name must not appear in the password.
Reset forgotten password
From the login page, you can reset your password yourself.
Please note: you can only change your password once every hour.
If you know your current password and want to change it, you can do so via myaccount.microsoft.com > Password (via the tile or in the menu on the left):
Password changed? Read this!
Your newly chosen password will no longer allow you to log in from devices (and applications) that have saved your old password.
Delete saved passwords:
- Avoid using the "remember password" functionality.
Enter your new password:
- in the WiFi (wireless) settings of all (mobile) devices you use to connect wirelessly (eduroam).
- Keep your UGent password strictly confidential, and never use your UGent password for other, external services.
- Change your password as soon as it is suspected that your password has been leaked or compromised
- Avoid storing passwords in readable form on your device or elsewhere.
- Avoid using the 'remember passwords' function of browsers, better use a reliable password manager.
- Do not send passwords by e-mail.