SharePoint is there for sharing and collaborating; for joint editing of information/documents. You can use SharePoint as a place to save files or use SharePoint as an application.
Data storage on SharePoint sites
- for work files
- for storing team or project related documents
SharePoint as application
- Access via web browsers, from anywhere.
- Online editing of Office documents.
- Excellent search engine, extended search options
- Version management: automatically track versions when a document is changed
- Together with OneDrive for Business and Office 365
Invite external parties
On the new SharePoint environment, you can invite external parties to access your SharePoint site.
To invite a third party to your SharePoint site, there are three conditions:
- The email address of the person to whom you wish to give access must be registered. (via the "Invite external user" link on homepage
- Your SharePoint site is located on the new SharePoint environment. (On SharePoint sites starting with "https://sharepoint2013.ugent.be/" you can NOT invite external users.)
- You must set the user access rights to your site at SharePoint.
You can use the self-service tool to request a new site on the new SharePoint environment or you can contact the helpdesk to request a migration of your existing project site.