What is a shared mailbox?
A shared mailbox is an extra, shared mailbox that is used by several UGent staff members. A shared mailbox is primarily intended for the secretariat of a department, lab or research group.
To organize a conference or for temporary projects, requesting a distribution list is recommended.
What do we offer?
- A separate mailbox with e-mail address.
- Different users can use the mailbox.
What information do we need?
- You enter the desired e-mail address (chosen name@UGent.be). The restrictions and conditions that this address must meet:
- The address always ends with @UGent.be.
- The part before the @ character contains at most 1 dot and furthermore only letters and numbers, with a maximum of 16 characters.
- It always starts with a letter and is case insensitive.
- The desired address may not yet exist.
- The desired address must be clear and cover its contents.
- Choose a name that's not too long. The e-mail address must be easy to enter, without too much chance of errors, including by non-native speakers.
- Also indicate what any abbreviations stand for.
- You specify the use case you want to use this shared mailbox.
- Specify who should have access to the shared mailbox. Only staff members and students (provided that at least 1 staff member has access) are eligible. Each of them must have a UGent account to have one.
How to apply?
- You can request this shared mailbox via the web form. Only staff members can request a shared mailbox.
How to use?
- After verification of the data, the shared mailbox and the corresponding e-mail address, if everything is in order, will be provided. The applicant will then receive an e-mail from the helpdesk for confirmation.
- Good mutual agreements are necessary. When using a shared mailbox, keep in mind that if you delete or move an email, this will of course be the case for all users who have access to the shared mailbox.
- To add additional users to the shared mailbox, ask the helpdesk via email.
- No 'forward' may be set on a shared mailbox.
- Add the shared mailbox.
- Delete the shared mailbox.